Colmar Manor in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Fort Lincoln Cemetery
Here, at Fort Lincoln Cemetery, masterworks of marble, granite and bronze stand in solemn dignity and provides a tranquil setting for those visiting the final resting places of their loved ones.
Fort Lincoln property consists of parcels from three early land grants: Scotland (1685), Barbadoes (1685) and Chillum Castle Manor (1763). A few of these early land owners were Col. Henry Darnall, William Thompson, Richard Evans, Williams Diggs, Charles Carroll, the Barrister (relative of Charles Carroll, signer of the Declaration of Independence), George Conn, John Veitch, his descendants, John C. Rives (co-founder of the Globe newspaper), and others.
As an early farm land, three events were to disturb this otherwise pastoral setting: 1) In 1792 a survey was made and the District of Columbia boundary marker NE No. 7 was placed. 2) Near this spot on August 24, 1814, marines and flotillamen under the command of Joshua Barney fought a gallant stand against the British redcoats in the Battle of Bladensburg.
The remains of Battery Jameson are still visible near the old spring house. President Abraham Lincoln is said to have met here to discuss army strategy. The battery served to reinforce Fort Lincoln which was located a short distance away in the District of Columbia.
Fort Lincoln Cemetery was named after Fort Lincoln which strategically protected the nation's capitol during the Civil War. Fort Lincoln became the headquarters for the Second Pennsylvania Veteran Heavy Artillery. Men from this unit staffed Battery Jameson.
Erected 1979 by Prince George's County Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Defenses of Washington series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 38° 55.898′ N, 76° 57.29′ W. Marker is in Colmar Manor, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Bladensburg Road 0.2 miles south of 37th Street, on the leftTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brentwood MD 20722, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dueling Grounds (approx. 0.2 miles away); Little Church of Fort Lincoln (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Road to the Capitol (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Valiant Stand (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marines & Flotillamen (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bladensburg Dueling Grounds (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Road to the Capital (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Dueling Grounds (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colmar Manor.
Also see . . . History of Fort Lincoln Cemetery. from the Fort Lincoln Funeral Home and Fort Lincoln Cemetery web site. (Submitted on June 29, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2007. This page has been viewed 7,324 times since then and 226 times this year. Last updated on June 12, 2020. Photos: 1. submitted on November 17, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on July 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on November 17, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 29, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.