Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Napanoch in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Delaware and Hudson Canal

Eastern New York Reformatory

 
 
Delaware and Hudson Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 30, 2019
1. Delaware and Hudson Canal Marker
Inscription.  The Delaware and Hudson Canal, with 108 locks, operated between Honesdale, Pennsylvania and Kingston, New York, providing service to Napanoch from 1828 to 1901. The Canal enabled materials and supplies to be delivered to help build the Eastern New York Reformatory, which opened October 1, 1900. The prison was sited between lock #27 to its south and Canal lock #26 to its north, and the Canal ran through prison grounds. The property on which lock #26 was located was owned by Bob Decker. The original "Decker's Bridge" crossed the Rondout Creek south of lock #27.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceLaw EnforcementWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is October 1, 1900.
 
Location. 41° 44.385′ N, 74° 21.914′ W. Marker is in Napanoch, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on Dump Road, ¼ mile south of Institution Road, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located on the west side of the former Napanoch Railroad Station building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Napanoch NY 12458, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
crow flies. Napanoch Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Abram Bevier (approx. ¼ mile away); DeWitt House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Frank B. Hoornbeek (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of Long House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fantinekill Massacre Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Depuy - Dewitt House (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Napanoch.
 
Also see . . .
1. Delaware and Hudson Canal (Wikipedia). A dry section of bed is located between Eastern Correctional Facility and the Rondout, right next to the old Ontario and Western railroad station. (Submitted on July 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Eastern Correctional Facility (Wikipedia). The site opened as the "Eastern New York Reformatory". Its imposing main building, with medieval-style turrets and long green copper roof, was designed by architect John Rochester Thomas. The site was chosen partly for its easily available stone, and the transport provided by the adjacent Delaware and Hudson Canal; able-bodied adult prisoners were imported for construction labor. (Submitted on July 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Delaware and Hudson Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 30, 2019
2. Delaware and Hudson Canal Marker
(marker visible beside former Napanoch Railroad Station)
Eastern New York Correctional Facility Centennial Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 30, 2019
3. Eastern New York Correctional Facility Centennial Plaque
1900-2000
In commemoration of our centennial year, the employees of Easter honor our tradition of “family” by herein remembering the dedicated public service of all those who have preceded us.

Let the record reflect that they worked hard, answered when duty called, were good neighbors and friends… that they made a difference.
Eastern New York Correctional Facility image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 30, 2019
4. Eastern New York Correctional Facility
(northeast of the marker)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152301

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024