Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Russellville in Franklin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Byler's Old Turnpike

 
 
Byler's Old Turnpike Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 19, 2020
1. Byler's Old Turnpike Marker
Inscription.  Beginning in Lauderdale County where it connected to Jackson's Old Military Road, Byler's Turnpike ran to Tuscaloosa. Only days after Alabama's statehood 14 Dec 1819, this first state road was approved by the legislature. Laid out along portions of the did Buffalo Trail and Doublehead's Trace, it showed the common progression from animal path to Indian trail and finally a road. John Byler and Associates built the southern portion of the road 12 feet wide and free of stumps. A major portion of the road followed Byler's Ridge, a watershed divide that ran south from Poplar Springs. Used as a major transportation route for mail, stage-coaches, freight wagons and livestock, the Turnpike was important in the development of Northwest AL. For many years, Byler and his family charged a toll for passage. During the Civil War, both Union and Confederate forces utilized the road. One original segment of the Byler road follows the Old County Line Road between Franklin and Lawrence and another crosses Bear Creek, although the route by Mt. Hope has changed several times. Landmarks on the old road include Vandiver's Mill, Atwood's Blacksmith Shop, William Byler's
Direction of the old Byler Road. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 19, 2020
2. Direction of the old Byler Road.
Place, McCord's Stand and “Aunt Jenny's" home. Byler (1781-1824) is buried at Rock Springs Cemetery in Mt. Hope.
 
Erected by Lawrence County Historical Commission, Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 34° 32.691′ N, 87° 31.787′ W. Marker is near Russellville, Alabama, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of County Line Road (County Road 99) and County Road 343, on the right when traveling north on County Line Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Russellville AL 35654, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newburg (approx. 5 miles away); LaGrange Military Academy (approx. 8.2 miles away); LaGrange College (approx. 8.3 miles away); a different marker also named LaGrange College (approx. 8.3 miles away); History of Littleville, Alabama (approx. 8.9 miles away); History of Leighton United Methodist Church (approx. 10.7 miles away); History of Leighton (approx. 10.9 miles away); Belle Mont (approx. 11˝ miles away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  The Byler Road Project (.pdf).
Intersection of CR-99 and CR-68. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 19, 2020
3. Intersection of CR-99 and CR-68.
(Submitted on July 20, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Byler's Old Turnpike route. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 19, 2020
4. Byler's Old Turnpike route.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 20, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 25, 2021