Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Saint Patrick Church & Cemetery
On February 5, 1779, a Catholic parish was established on this site and later named after Saint Patrick. From the earliest years, a burial ground was on the southern section of this lot. A red sandstone grave marker engraved in German script is the oldest stone to survive. The inscription reads “In memory of Nicholas Schwartz died 1784” who folklore describes as a Hessian soldier captured at Trenton, New Jersey, during the Revolutionary War. Tombstones from most of the mid-eighteenth century families have long disappeared. The early newspapers have identified a few Revolutionary War soldiers from the parish: Pendergrass, Quigley, Faust, Lechler and McManus.
When the Civil War broke out, Carlisle rallied to the Union cause. In 1860, Father Edward McKee who was then Pastor of Saint Patrick, spoke to more than two hundred Catholics from the local garrison who went to Confession and Holy Communion just before their departure for service. Father McKee would later leave to become chaplain of the 116th Pennsylvania Volunteers. Among the parishioners of Saint Patrick who saw military service were two brothers, Leo and John
A notable leader of Saint Patrick Church and a man of many talents was Father Henry G. Ganss, Pastor from 1891-1910. Amon his duties as pastor, he served as a member of the Hamilton Library Association, sponsored and performed concerts in the Carlisle Opera House and was one of the founders of the Todd Free Memorial Hospital. Father Ganss was also largely responsible for persuading then Mother Katharine Drexel to help establish a school in Saint Patrick’s Rectory where her Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament taught Native American Indian and Black students.
This Norman Gothic style church structure was built in 1893 and although damaged by a serious fire in 1923, was restored to its original architecture. A project of Historic Carlisle, Inc.
Erected by Historic Carlisle, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil.
Location. 40° 11.973′ N, 77° 11.143′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on East Pomfret Street east of S Bedford Street, on the rightTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 152 E Pomfert Street, Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Patrick's Church (a few steps from this marker); Saint Katharine's Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Bethel A.M.E. Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. William Irvine (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Duncan-Stiles House (about 700 feet away); Gen. John Armstrong (about 700 feet away); Old Prison (about 700 feet away); Major General John Armstrong (1717-1795) (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 21, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photographs of the cemetery and the Faller brothers' graves. • Can you help?