Amarillo in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Quanah Parker Comanche Chief
(b. 1845 ca. d. 1911)
Quanah was born to Cynthia Ann Parker, a white woman captured in 1836 by Indians on the Texas frontier, and her husband, Peta Nocona, a war chief of the Nokoni Comanche band.
His mother was recaptured by the Texas Rangers in 1860, and his father died of an old wound a few years later, leaving him an orphan. Nevertheless, Quanah rose to lead as a war chief of the Kwahada Comanche band.
They hunted bison, raised horses, traded for corn bread and other goods carted in by New Mexican Comancheros, rode the Comanche War Trail to raid in Mexico, and camped in this area.
Quanah led his people in the 1874-75 Red River War to resist U.S. military efforts to remove Indians to reservations in Oklahoma.
After accepting Col. R. S. Mackenzie's surrender orders in 1875, as principal chief of the Comanches on the reservation, Quanah led his people again, but this time, to follow a new way of life.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansWars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 35° 14.089′ N, 101° 56.342′ W. Marker is in Amarillo, Texas, in Potter County. Marker is on North Soncy Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2301 N Soncy Rd, Amarillo TX 79124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Parker Trail (a few steps from this marker); 1983 Relocation of the Helium Monument (approx. 2.8 miles away); Jack B. Kelley (approx. 2.8 miles away); Helium Time Columns (approx. 2.8 miles away); William Henry Bush (approx. 3.1 miles away); Smith-Rogers House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Cadillac Ranch (approx. 4.3 miles away); Amarillo Natatorium ("The Nat") (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amarillo.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.