Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Bay-Eva Castle Site
This sign marks the spot where Dr. Bay Jacobs and his wife Eva built their home, a beautiful stone castle. Dr. Jacobs was a prominent physician who served on the staff of both Georgetown and Arlington Hospitals. The location of this property, halfway between the two, perfectly suited his needs. He made many advances in women's medicine during his distinguished career. His wife, Eva Harris Jacobs served as President of the Business and Professional Women's Club of Arlington. She also wrote a historical novel entitled Feather on the Dart.
According to Mr. Frank Segretti, one of five stone masons who worked on the project, Mrs. Jacobs sat on a tree stump in the rain, and while sheltered by her umbrella, sketched the design for her home. It took three months to cover the exterior of the three story house with stone. The name "Bay-Eva" was chiseled into the stone by the front door, which opened to look out toward the Potomac. The castle was solidly constructed with a slate roof, copper gutters, oak flooring and stone walls which were 18" thick in places. The central turret contained a spiral staircase with wrought iron
The property was then owned by a series of developers, and in 1995 was proffered to the County and its citizens by Eakin-Youngentob Associates, Inc. for use as park land.
Many before us have recognized the beauty and enjoyed the use of this land. Archaeological evidence suggests that Native Americans travelled and lived along the Potomac as far back as 10,000 B.C. The first white man to lay claim to the land surrounding this site was Thomas Owsley, in 1696; in 1767, the land was regranted to George Mason; Mason's grandson John lost the property to the Bank of the United States in 1833. Twenty-six years later Thomas B. Dawson purchased 81 acres including this site, for $2,378.00. Thomas' daughter, Bessie Dawson Bailey, sold part of that land, the "Spring Lot," to Dr. J. Bay Jacobs in 1936.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Science & Medicine • Women.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2207 North Rolfe Street, Arlington VA 22209, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Dawson-Bailey Spring Site (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dawson-Bailey House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Bennett (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort C.F. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Corcoran (approx. 0.4 miles away); For God And Country (approx. half a mile away in District of Columbia); a different marker also named Fort C.F. Smith (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Fort C.F. Smith (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on July 23, 2020, by Ray Gurganus of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.