Grand Haven in Ottawa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 43° 3.78′ N, 86° 13.614′ W. Marker is in Grand Haven, Michigan, in Ottawa County. Marker can be reached from Washington Avenue east of North 4th Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, near the center of Central Park, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Haven MI 49417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ottawa County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Reformed Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Akeley Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Trunk Western Standard Coaling Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grand Trunk Western, Wood Caboose No. 77915 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grand Trunk Western Bridge Approach Signal (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pere Marquette Caboose No. A-986 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Haven.
Also see . . .
1. Central Park. The current Central Park was originally the City Cemetery, and was on the eastern boundary of the original village of Grand Haven. As the town grew around the cemetery, it soon changed from being on the edge of town to the center of town. In 1867 the “Washington Street Cemetery” was deeded to the City for $1 as park land, with the understanding that the graves would eventually be moved to the new Ferry Hill location, what is known today as Lake Forest Cemetery. In 1900 the park was sown with grass seed purchased from the City’s general fund, and saplings — what would become the mature (Submitted on July 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Grand Haven Central Park. In 1908, the original small fountain was replaced by the grand fountain that had originally been in the courtyard of “W.C. Sheldon’s Magnetic Mineral Springs”, which was located where the 5/3 Bank is today. This is the current fountain we still enjoy today. (Submitted on July 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 27, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.