Cleveland in Bradley County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Masonic Female Institute
Masonic Lodge No. 134 and the town of Cleveland established the Masonic Female Institute in 1848 and opened the school in 1856. At the beginning of the war, student and diarist Myra Inman wrote of a disruption in the school's leadership: "Mr. Blunt [the school's principal] was not coming back." Principal Ainsworth E. Blunt fled the county with other young men in fear of being forced into Confederate service.
The school operated until the fall of 1863 when the Union army arrived. During the Battle of Missionary Ridge on November 27, Ohio cavalrymen raided the rear of Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg's army, destroying 12 miles of railroad and burning the copper-rolling mill in Cleveland. In anticipation of a counterattack the troopers camped in and around Cleveland. The 1st Ohio Cavalry guarded the north end of town at the schoolyard. The next morning, the Confederates attacked from nearby Charleston and forced the Federals' retreat to Chattanooga. The Confederate defeat at Missionary Ridge enabled the Union army to take possession of Cleveland, where it used the school building during 1864.
The school reopened in the fall
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • War, US Civil • Women. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical date for this entry is November 27, 1848.
Location. 35° 9.804′ N, 84° 52.397′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Tennessee, in Bradley County. Marker is on North Ocoee Street (State Highway 74) just north of 6th Street Northeast, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 781 North Ocoee Street, Cleveland TN 37311, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Craigmiles House—Carmichael Annex (a few steps from this marker); Cleveland Bradley County Public Library Facilities (within shouting distance of this marker); Hardwick-Jarnagin House (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee College (approx. ¼ mile away); Fillauer Brothers Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Oak Grove Male Academy (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland.
Regarding Masonic Female Institute.
Bottom, left: Myra Inman — Courtesy Southeast Tennessee Digital Archive, Cleveland State Community College
Bottom, right: Ainsworth Blunt, Jr. — Courtesy Cleveland Public Library
Top, right: Cleveland Masonic Female Institute, ca. 1867 Courtesy Cleveland Public Library
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 189 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.