Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
El Camposanto de Cemento Grande de la Compania Trinity Portland
(Trinity Portland Cement Company Cemetery)
The Southwestern States Portland Cement Company was established in this area in 1909. Many of the company's employees were Mexican immigrants who came to this area to escape the Mexican Revolution. The company name was changed after Trinity Portland Cement Company purchased the business in 1915.
Two company villages were built near the cement plant, one for Anglos and one for Mexican laborers. About 1918, the company donated land for use as a community cemetery by its Hispanic employees.
It is believed that the first people buried in the cemetery were victims of the 1918 influenza epidemic, including many children. A number of cement company workers and their family members were interred here, and the cemetery was cared for by residents of the company town. The last burial occurred when Eladio R. Martinez (1921 - 1945) was reinterred here. A native of the village, he was killed in action in the Pacific during World War II, and was originally buried in the Philippines.
Although the company housing was removed from this area by 1959, this cemetery remains as a reminder of the village which once occupied this area,
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6903.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Hispanic Americans • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 32° 46.724′ N, 96° 54.591′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Clymer Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5300 Singleton Boulevard, Dallas TX 75212, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eagle Ford Community (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kit Community (approx. 2.3 miles away); Old Kit Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); La Reunion Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of Irving (approx. 3.1 miles away); Jordan-Hight Family Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Joffre-Gilbert House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Schulze House (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Regarding El Camposanto de Cemento Grande de la Compania Trinity Portland. The marker text does not use Spanish letters, so Compania should be Companía and Martinez should be Martínez.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.