St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Saint Augustine’s Oldest House
The coquina walls of this authentic example of an early Spanish colonial home were built soon after the town was burned during the siege of 1702. Changes and additions made by succeeding generations reflect the city’s history. Archaeology indicates continuous occupancy of this site by Europeans since the early 1600’s.
Saint Augustine Historical Society
Erected 1960 by Saint Augustine Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Architecture • Colonial Era.
Location. 29° 53.281′ N, 81° 18.601′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Francis Street and Charlotte Street, on the left when traveling east on St. Francis Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 St Francis Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Four Centuries----Five Flags (a few steps from this marker); La Florida’s El Camino RealGonzalez-Alvarez House (a few steps from this marker); St. Francis Barracks (a few steps from this marker); Tovar House (a few steps from this marker); González-Alvarez House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Tovar House (within shouting distance of this marker); State Arsenal (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . Oldest House Museum Complex. St. Augustine Historical Society (Submitted on July 29, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 28, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.