Canadian in Hemphill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Military Road
(1874 - 1890)
One of earliest known Texas Panhandle trails. Flint-pierced mastodon bones show prehistoric men trailed this valley before Indians were here.
In 1875, U.S. Army came this way to Fort Elliott, at Mobeetie (30 miles, southwest). Mail routes and stagecoaches used this trail, 1878-1890.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3767.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 35° 53.157′ N, 100° 10.766′ W. Marker is in Canadian, Texas, in Hemphill County. Marker is on L south of K, on the left when traveling south. From U.S. 60 turn east on FM 2266. When the pavement ends it turns into Road K. Take the second L Road and the markers will be on the left. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canadian TX 79014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 133 Yards East to Site of Historic Cottonwood (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Old Springer's Road Ranch Gene Howe Wildlife Management Area (approx. 6˝ miles away); Anvil Park Ranch (approx. 8 miles away); Former Site of Hogtown (approx. 8 miles away); Eller Flat Cemetery (approx. 9.1 miles away); Glazier Cemetery (approx. 10.4 miles away); Tom T. McGee (approx. 10.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canadian.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2020. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 86 times this year. Last updated on July 29, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 26, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.