Staten Island in Richmond County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Arthur Von Briesen Park
This park on the northeastern shore of Staten Island occupies the site of the former estate of Arthur Von Briesen (1843-1920).
A native of Germany, Von Briesen immigrated to the United States in 1858 at the age of 15. After enduring some hardship in his early years here, he began to study law. At the start of the Civil War (1861-65), he enlisted and served as sergeant of Company B, First New York Volunteers. After the war, he completed his studies at New York University School of Law and was admitted to the New York Bar in 1868.
In 1876, he helped found the German Legal Aid Society, which provided free legal services to poor German immigrants in New York. Fourteen years later, he became its president. Throughout his leadership, Von Briesen argued that the benefits of democracy should be available to all, regardless of nationality. Immigrants, he believed, made better citizens when they are treated justly. In 1896, the society changed its name to the Legal Aid Society, and began offering free legal services to all New Yorkers. Von Briesen continued to support the needy until the eve of America’s entrance into the First
When Von Briesen purchased this property in 1901, he named it “Gernda”, a German term for “wishing to be there.” Historical records show the names of two previous owners from the 19th century, when the property served as a farming estate with an orchard in the eastern half, a greenhouse along the northern border, with stables and other buildings scattered throughout. Von Briesen rebuilt the main residence, but kept and maintained the orchard and greenhouse. Near the entryway was a gatehouse where a spur from the trolley line along Bay Street ran down to the waterfront dock, probably carrying passengers and freight. In a humorous reference to the prominent location of his homestead beside the Narrows, Von Briesen wrote a book entitled First House on the Left, America (the address of a letter he once received).
After his death in 1920, the estate lay unused until 1945 when his heirs, Mrs. Fritz von Briesen, Mrs. Harrison Tweed, and Mr. Arthur Menken donated the land to Parks. The remaining structures on the site were demolished by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses (1888-1981) who deemed them beyond repair and subject to vandalism. The entire park area, which opened to the public in 1949, is comprised of 10.1 acres of upland and 2.7 acres of land under water and sits immediately north of Fort Wadsworth. Frequent attempts
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 40° 36.42′ N, 74° 3.645′ W. Marker is in Staten Island, New York, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of School Road and Bay Street when traveling north on School Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Staten Island NY 10305, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Father Capodanno Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); September 11, 2001 Living Memorial Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away); Staten Island War Dog Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battery Catlin (approx. ¼ mile away); The Four Chaplains (approx. ¼ mile away); Quarantine Boarding Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Wadsworth (approx. ¼ mile away); Torpedo Wharf (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staten Island.
Also see . . . Von Briesen Park. Official NYC parks page. (Submitted on July 31, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 31, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.