Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
16th Maine Infantry
1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 1st Corps
at 4 o'clock, p.m., by the
16th Maine Infantry.
1st Brig. 2nd Div. 1st Corps,
while the rest of the division was
retiring, the regiment having moved
from the position at the left where
its monument stands, under orders
to hold this position at any cost.
It lost on this field,
killed 11, wounded 62, captured 159
out of 275 engaged.
Erected 1889 by State of Maine.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1863.
Location. 39° 50.673′ N, 77° 14.519′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Doubleday Avenue and Mummasburg Road, on the right when traveling south on Doubleday Avenue. Located on the Oak Ridge section in Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 90th Pennsylvania Volunteers (a few steps from this marker); End of the First Day (within shouting distance of this marker); 12th Massachusetts VolunteersJohn Cleveland Robinson (about 400 feet away); 88th Pennsylvania Infantry (about 400 feet away); 88th Pennsylvania Volunteers (about 400 feet away); 104th New York Infantry (about 500 feet away); 45th New York Infantry (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,257 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on July 24, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5. submitted on January 18, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.