Duncanville in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This area was an important early campsite and watering spot for Indians and pioneer settlers. Two springs formed a natural pool which served as a landmark for wagon trains and cattle drives on the Shawnee Trail. In the 1850s the site was settled by the family of Maj. John Penn of Illinois, who had first visited here in 1848. On July 4, 1882, Penn Springs was the scene of a Confederate reunion of Parson's Texas Cavalry. Owned by Penn Family members until 1895, the springs have continued to play an important role in the development of Duncanville.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6814.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Environment • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 37.949′ N, 96° 55.25′ W. Marker is in Duncanville, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Penn Springs Drive and W. Danieldale Road, on the left when traveling south on Penn Springs Drive. Touch for map. Marker is Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trees Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Little Bethel Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); First United Methodist Church of Duncanville (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Christian Church of Duncanville (approx. 1.4 miles away); Duncanville (approx. 1.7 miles away); John C. Pelt (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Daniel Cemetery (approx. 2˝ miles away); John Shelby Wisdom (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duncanville.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.