Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Southwest 1

 
 
Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2014
1. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1 Marker
Inscription.  
Original Federal Boundary Stone
District of Columbia
Placed 1791 - 1792
Protected by Mt. Vernon Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
1916

 
Erected 1916 by Mount Vernon Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraMan-Made Features. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), and the Original Federal Boundary Stones series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1791.
 
Location. 38° 48.075′ N, 77° 3.264′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Payne Street and Wilkes Street, on the right when traveling north on Payne Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1220 Wilkes Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bethel Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Douglass Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Courtesy of Bethel Cemetery, Est. 1885 (about 500 feet away); a different
Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2014
2. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker also named Bethel Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Old Presbyterian Meeting House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Penny Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1323 Duke Street – From Slavery to Freedom and Service (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin and Armfield Slave Office (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
More about this marker. This District of Columbia boundary stone is nowhere near today's District of Columbia. It marks the original boundary of the District before Alexandria County (now Arlington County) was retro-ceded back to Virginia.
 
Also see . . .
1.  SW1. Boundary Stones of the District of Columbia. " Around 1904, the stone was moved 225 feet from its original position. When it was reset in the ground, it was rotated such that the sides of the stone marked "Virginia" and "Jurisdiction of the United States" no longer face their respective jurisdictions. The letters on the District face of the stone are smaller than those of the other stones and in a different script." (Submitted on April 9, 2014.) 

2. Marking the Original Boundary of the District of Columbia. DAR Boundary Stones Committee, website. (Submitted on April 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 

3. Boundary Markers of the Original District of Columbia in Virginia. (PDF) National Register of Historic Places
Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2014
3. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1 Marker
Multiple Property Documentation Form. (Submitted on July 24, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2014
4. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1
Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2014
5. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1
Jurisdiction
of the
United States
Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2014
6. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1
1791
Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1 image. Click for full size.
National Register of Historic Places
7. Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1
This diagram of the inscriptions on Boundary Stone SW 1 appears in the National Register Form prepared by Barbara Hynak of the District V Markers Committee, Virginia Daughters of the Revolution.
Payne & Wilkes Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2014
8. Payne & Wilkes Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,056 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2020, by Roberto Bernate of Arlington, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   7. submitted on April 10, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   8. submitted on April 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=154752

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 17, 2022