Golconda in Pope County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The brave pioneer woman who founded the town of Golconda, first called Sarahville, a century and a quarter ago.
She established the first ferry across the Ohio River at this place, which she operated with the aid of her young son and a faithful colored woman.
Her rifle was always at hand to protect the passengers from the dangers that lurked on every side.
Erected 1928 by The Civic Club of Golconda.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels • Women.
Location. 37° 22.013′ N, 88° 29.05′ W. Marker is in Golconda, Illinois, in Pope County. Marker is on East Main Street west of Columbus Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Marker is at the northeast corner of the grounds of Pope County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 E Main St, Golconda IL 62938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis and Clark in Illinois (here, next to this marker); Golconda John Thomas Davidson Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexander Hall Buel House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Imagine the Scene (approx. 1.1 miles away in Kentucky); They Passed This Way (approx. 1.1 miles away in Kentucky); McGilligan Creek (approx. 2.8 miles away in Kentucky); The Original Route (approx. 2.9 miles away in Kentucky). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Golconda.
More about this marker. Marker was unveiled on July 4, 1928, according to the Illinois State Historical Society Journals (1929).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 21, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. 2. submitted on August 11, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.