San Saba in San Saba County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James Louis & Eleanor Austin Baker
James “Jim” Louis Baker (1829-1903) and Eleanor “Ellen” Prather Austin Baker (1839-1909) married in Travis County on June 15, 1859. Jim’s family moved to Texas from Tennessee during the time of the Republic, and Ellen’s family moved to Travis County from Missouri. Jim’s father, James H. Baker, registered the “Baker B” cattle brand in 1836 in Travis County. The family acquired both cattle and wealth. In 1856, Jim and his brother George moved 6000 head of cattle from Travis County to the newly formed San Saba County. Within 5 years, the herd had multiplied significantly. While traveling from Austin to the Baker home in San Saba, Jim, Ellen, their daughter Olga, and Ellen’s father were attacked by members of the Comanche tribe in Lampasas County in 1861. Jim was wounded by multiple arrows. He recovered but was unable to assume active duty during the Civil War.
After the war ended, Jim and George operated as the “Baker Brothers” with branded cattle ranging from the head of the San Saba River to Onion Creek in Travis County, a distance of 150 miles. Soon after, the brothers decided to
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18403.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1880.
Location. 31° 12.189′ N, 98° 43.235′ W. Marker is in San Saba, Texas, in San Saba County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 16, 0.1 miles East Lewis Street. The marker is located in San Saba Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Saba TX 76877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. San Saba Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sion Record Bostick (about 600 feet away); First Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church of San Saba (approx. half a mile away); San Saba Church of Christ (approx. half a mile away); Estep-Burleson Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); San Saba County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); United Confederate Veterans William P. Rogers Camp No. 322 (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Saba.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 31, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 2. submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on August 31, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.