Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Central Drugstore

 
 
Old Central Drugstore Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 15, 2019
1. Old Central Drugstore Marker
Inscription.  ​

Alphons Walter (1866-1957), a Swiss-born jeweler and watchmaker, had this 2-story building erected in 1905. He sold the property in 1909 to Robert G. Striegler (1874-1934), a noted Fredericksburg civic leader who operated the Central Drugstore on the lower floor. Despite later changes in proprietors, the drugstore occupied this site for over 70 years. The local telephone exchange leased the second floor for offices and a switchboard until 1954. The building has also housed doctors' offices and Herman Heyland's photographic business.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10014.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsScience & MedicineSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
 
Location. 30° 16.477′ N, 98° 52.287′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on Main Street, 0.1 miles east of Adam's Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Old Central Drugstore with the marker visible under the U.S. flag image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 15, 2019
2. Old Central Drugstore with the marker visible under the U.S. flag
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker. The F.W. Arhelger Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early History Of Fredericksburg, Texas (about 400 feet away); Lt. Col. Jack K. Lee Fallen Hero’s Memorial (about 400 feet away); Pioneer Schandua House (about 400 feet away); The Schandua Building (about 500 feet away); Market Square (Marktplatz) (about 500 feet away); Gillespie County Armed Services Memorial (about 600 feet away); Gillespie County (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=155634

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 29, 2022