Brunswick in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bernice Echols Grant
— City of Brunswick —
Service to the Community
Bernice Echols Grant came to Brunswick as Glynn County’s Extension Agent in 1927. She was instrumental in reorganizing the county’s garden club program, and provided design guidance for the landscape of the Historic Glynn County Courthouse, one of Brunswick’s most beloved landmarks.
During World War II, she taught families how to best provide for their own needs while raising food for the war effort. Through the County Extension’s 4-H program and numerous home economics clubs, Mrs. Grant helped young people expand their horizons and prepare for their futures.
When Bernice Grant retired from the Extension Service in 1960, a Southern Magnolia was planted here in Machen Square in her honor. She continued to serve her community as an advocate of education and conservation for the rest of her 99 years.
A Green Legacy
As Chairman of the Brunswick Park and Tree Commission from 1943 -1966. Mrs. Grant worked tirelessly to save the treasured green spaces of Brunswick. As a charter member of the Marshes of Glynn Association, and a member of the Georgia Nature Conservancy,
The City of Brunswick is forever grateful to Bernice Echols Grant for her work in preserving its natural beauty and unique historic character.
Signature Squares of Brunswick, a non-profit organization founded to restore and preserve the parks and squares within the historic district of Brunswick, gratefully acknowledges the research contributions of Mia Knight Nichols and the support of the City of Brunswick: Delong-Sweet Foundation: The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc., Magnolia Garden Club; Jekyll Island Authority; Friends of Coastal Georgia History; Downtown Development Authority; Plum Creek Foundation; Jerry Spencer, ASLA, Landscape Architect.
Above: Bernice Echols in her graduation photo, University of Georgia’s School of Home Economics, Class of 1925. Photo courtesy of Echols family
Left: Bernice and Earl Grant, at their home, Paradise Corner, in Brunswick. The Grants maintained a small nursery in their own yard to grow plants for the squares. Photo courtesy of Echols Family.
Left: Mrs. Grant stands next to the Lanier Oak for this photograph at her retirement party in 1960. She continued to support her beloved 4-H programs for many years. She was also an important part of leading
Below: Mrs. Grant offered professional guidance for the landscape design for the historic Glynn County Courthouse.
Erected 2015 by Signature Squares of Brunswick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Horticulture & Forestry • Parks & Recreational Areas • Women.
Location. 31° 8.988′ N, 81° 29.723′ W. Marker is in Brunswick, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Newcastle Street (U.S. 25) north of Gloucester Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker located within Machen Square East. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick GA 31520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Machen Square East (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Machen Square East (a few steps from this marker); Machen Square West (within shouting distance of this marker); Jekyll Square East (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jekyll Square West (about 500 feet away); Brunswick's "Liberty Ships" (about 700 feet away); World War II MemorialDedicated to the Veterans of 1898 -1902 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brunswick.
Also see . . . Signature Squares of Brunswick. (Submitted on September 6, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 6, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.