Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fairfax in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Wounds Suffered at Ox Hill (Chantilly)

September 1, 1862

 

— ★ The Battle of Ox Hill ★ —

 
Wounds Suffered at Ox Hill (Chantilly) Panel image. Click for full size.
January 10, 2009
1. Wounds Suffered at Ox Hill (Chantilly) Panel
Inscription.  
Union Soldiers
4th Maine, 2nd Brigade (Birney), Kearny’s Division:
Pvt. Lorenzo E. Dickey, Co. A, Age 21: At Chantilly, received gunshot would in right thigh. Taken to a field hospital “in the vicinity of the battleground” where the leg was amputated at the upper third, four days after the battle. Arrived at Douglas Hospital, D.C. Sept. 8. On Oct. 16, twenty ounces of blood lost in hemorrhage of femoral artery. By Jan. 1, 1863, the wound had healed. Discharged from St. Elizabeth’s Hospital June 16, 1863. Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion, Vol. XI, 1870s

28th Massachusetts, 3rd Brigade (Morrison), Stevens’ Division:
Pvt. James McEnvoy, Co. F, Age 32: Wounded by a shell fragment at Chantilly, which struck a glancing blow to the right side of his head, tearing away a 3 ½ by 1 ½ -inch piece of scalp and fracturing the skull. He left the battlefield without assistance and was admitted to Emory Hospital in Washington Sept. 2. On Sept. 8, he became partially paralyzed on the left side. On Sept. 14, a piece of bone was removed, exposing the brain.
Wounds Suffered at Ox Hill (Chantilly) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, September 19, 2021
2. Wounds Suffered at Ox Hill (Chantilly) Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
By Oct. 8 the wound was healing, though the soldier was unable to use his left hand. Discharged Nov. 11, 1862. Medical and Surgical History Vol. VII, 1870s

100th Pennsylvania, 2nd Brigade (Lecky), Stevens’ Division:
Pvt. L.F. Spragg, Co. H: Wounded in right arm Sept. 1. Bullet entered two inches below head of humerous on outside, passed downward and inward, fracturing the bone. To Douglas Hospital, D.C. Sept. 8. On Sept. 20, hemorrhaging occurred and arm was amputated. Loss of blood, weak condition and … “nervous prostration” caused his death. Medical and Surgical History, Vol. X, 1870s

Confederate Soldiers
13th South Carolina, Gregg’s Brigade, A.P. Hill’s Division:
At Ox Hill, Lieutenant [West C.] Leopard…was brought back to me with both of his legs torn off below the knees by a shell, and another man with part of his arm torn off, but neither Dr. Kenedy, Dr. Kilgore nor our medical wagon was with us, and I had nothing to give them but morphine. They both died during the night… We filled the carriage house, barn and stable with our wounded, but I could not do but little for them.” Dr. Spencer Glasgow Welch, Surgeon, 13th S.C. Volunteers Letter to his wife, Sept. 3, 1862, published 1911

37th North Carolina,Branch’s Brigade, A.P. Hill’s Division:
Captain Walter
Three Interpretive Kiosks at Ox Hill Battlefield Park image. Click for full size.
January 24, 2009
3. Three Interpretive Kiosks at Ox Hill Battlefield Park
W. Lenior,
Co. A: At Ox Hill, a musket ball passed through his right leg breaking both bones. Soon afterward, another musket ball hit the same leg, above the first wound, and ranged so that it entered the ground. He later found that the end of his big toe was taken off—probably by the same ball. That night he was carried a quarter-mile to a house and laid upon a porch crowded with other wounded. The next morning, he was carried by stretchers three-quarters of a mile and laid on the ground in an old field with other wounded. On the morning of the 3rd he was given chloroform and his leg was amputated by Dr. J.F. Shaffner, Surgeon, 33rd N.C. Diary of Walter W. Lenoir (1861-1863), published in Echoes of Happy Valley, Thomas Felix Henderson, 1962
 
Erected 2008 by Fairfax County Park Authority.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is June 16, 1863.
 
Location. 38° 51.863′ N, 77° 22.193′ W. Marker is near Fairfax, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker can be reached from West Ox Road (Virginia Route 608). These panels are on the right of three interpretive kiosks at the Ox Hill Battlefield Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4134 West Ox Road, Fairfax VA 22033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sequel to Second Manassas (here, next to this marker); Ox Hill Battlefield Park & Interpretive Trail
The Stone House on the former Chantilly estate. image. Click for full size.
January 24, 2009
4. The Stone House on the former Chantilly estate.
Located 2 miles west of Ox Hill Battlefield along modern Route 50, Built ca. 1823, local tradition is that the stone house was the home of Chantilly Farm’s overseer. It has been variously speculated to have been used as a Confederate field hospital and/or Gen. Jackson's headquarters during the Battle of Ox Hill (Chantilly).
(here, next to this marker); Who Fought Here: The Generals (here, next to this marker); La Batalla de Ox Hill (Chantilly) (here, next to this marker); Where the Battle was Fought (here, next to this marker); The Wounded Left Behind (a few steps from this marker); Aftermath: The Invasion of Maryland (within shouting distance of this marker); General Reno's Probe East of Ox Road (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfax.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Battle of Chantilly. Civil War Preservation Trust (Submitted on January 25, 2009.) 

2. Reno's Dispatch. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies (Submitted on January 25, 2009.) 

3. Chantilly. Northern Virginia History Notes, by Debbie Robison October 23, 2007 (Submitted on January 25, 2009.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,556 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 25, 2009.   2. submitted on September 20, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   3, 4. submitted on January 25, 2009. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=15620

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 9, 2022