Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In commemoration of the grant of this land for the Presbyterian Church and for Trinity Church by the heirs of William Penn in 1787, and in honor of the officers of the Colonial and Revolutionary Armies who after assisting in the achievement of American Independence were associated with the early history of Pittsburgh many of whom were buried in this enclosure.
Captain William Anderson Commodore Joshua Barney Colonel Stephen Bayard Captain John Brandon Surgeon Felix Brunot Captain Edward Butler Captain Percival Butler General Richard Butler Colonel Thomas Butler General William Butler Chaplain H.H. Brackenridge Major Isaac Craig Captain Samuel Dawson Captain Ebenezer Denny General Alexander Fowler Colonel George Gibson
Colonel John Gibson Captain John Guthrie Captain Henry Heth Captain Michael Hufnagle Sergeant Major John Hull Captain Thomas Hutchins Captain Nathaniel Irish Captain John Irwin Colonel James Johnston Major Abraham Kirkpatrick Major Joel Lewis Colonel Stephen Lowrey Captain George McCully Colonel Aeneas Mackay Colonel George Morgan Surgeon
General John Neville Lt. Colonel Presley Neville Qm. General James O'Hara Major John Ormsbt Lieutenant Gabriel Peterson Ass't. Qm. Samuel Sample Major John Small Major Thomas Smallman Captain Devereux Smith Lieutenant Jacob Springer Captain David Steel Captain Adamson Tannehill Captain George Wallace Captain Edward Ward Captain John Wilkins Qm. General John Wilkins Jr.
Erected 1915 by The Pittsburgh Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1787.
Location. 40° 26.468′ N, 79° 59.949′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Memorial is on Oliver Avenue just east of Wood Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 328 Oliver Ave, Pittsburgh PA 15222, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oliver Avenue (a few steps from this marker); Trinity Church Burying Ground (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Duquesne Club (about 300 feet away); McClurg Iron Foundry (about 300 feet away); Jane Grey Swisshelm Childhood Home (about 300 feet away); The Granite Building (about 300 feet away); James E. Rohr (about 400 feet away); This Building Marks (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 15, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.