Independence in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Baylor Park
Under a charter issued in 1845 by the Republic of Texas, Baylor University was established on this site and operated here until its removal to Waco and Belton in 1886. Afterward the site was bought by John Thomas Hairston (1835-1918), a church leader in Independence for over 40 years. Passed to his son, the land was returned in 1933 to Baylor by Dr. Thomas Coke Hairston (1875-1954), a grandson of Albert Gallitan Haynes, an original trustee of Baylor University who served on the board for 25 years.
In 1965 the park became part of Texas Baptist Historical Center.
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8298.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 30° 19.152′ N, 96° 21.197′ W. Marker is in Independence, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Baylor College Road and Waters Lane, on the right when traveling west on Old Baylor College Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other John P. Coles Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); The Davis Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Horace G. Clark (within shouting distance of this marker); John Prince Coles (within shouting distance of this marker); Columns of a Building of Old Baylor University (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Female Department of Baylor University (about 400 feet away); Old Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Houston-Lea Family Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
Also see . . . Independence Texas. Wikipedia's website (Submitted on September 25, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 25, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.