Near Chappell Hill in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cedar Creek Community
Located halfway between San Felipe de Austin and the town of Washington, Cedar Creek existed from the mid-1830s to the early 1850s. Cedar Creek was inhabited by Methodists and became the center for the Texas Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1849, Chappell Hill was founded by the Cedar Creek community. Chappell Hill M.E. Church became the hub of Methodism in Central Texas. The community folded into the town of Chappell Hill two miles south of the Cedar Creek camp meeting site. The land reverted to farmland by the end of the Civil War. Today, the site is on private property north of the Chappell Hill Masonic Cemetery. Rocks laid around the community spring are still visible.
Marker is property of the State of Texas.
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17831.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 30° 9.213′ N, 96° 15.648′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chappell Hill TX 77426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chappell Hill Masonic Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Farmers State Bank and Reinstein Store (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Rock Store (approx. 0.8 miles away); Providence Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Methodist Church (approx. one mile away); Site of Chappell Hill College (approx. one mile away); Chappell Hill Female College Bell (approx. one mile away); Site of Soule University for Boys (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chappell Hill.
Also see . . . Cedar Creek Community History. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on September 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.