Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Stone Fort Museum
Opening in 1936, the Stone Fort Museum has interpreted the history of East Texas and of the Old Stone Fort while also elevating the local historic preservation ethic. The Old Stone Fort, built in the late 18th century, was an integral part in a wide array of historic changes occurring in East Texas. The razing of the original building in 1902 caused consternation throughout the state and encouraged organizations to preserve other historic structures.
In 1908, the Cum Concilio Club, a local Women's organization, opened a memorial building dedicated to the razed structure. By the 1930s, the Texas Centennial Advisory Board of Nacogdoches, along with the Nacogdoches Historical Society, proposed that the monument be replaced by a structure that more closely replicated the original building. A renewed interest in history, spurred by the upcoming centennial of Texas Independence, aided the realization of the project. The Texas Centennial Commission approved the construction of the building on the campus of Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College (now Stephen F. Austin State University). Architect Hal B. Tucker designed the structure, and construction was completed by October 1936. Since then, museum staff have worked to interpret the history of the Old Stone Fort and of East Texas, with particular emphasis on the periods of Spanish and Mexican rule.
In 1992, work was completed on renovations to the museum building, meant to restore a higher degree of authenticity. Today, the Stone Fort Museum continues to serve Texas by interpreting East Texas history though exhibits, programs, and its housing in a replica of an important early Texas structure.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14842.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1936.
Location. 31° 37.157′ N, 94° 38.924′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. It is at the intersection of Alumni Drive and Griffith Boulevard, on the right when traveling north on Alumni Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1808 Alumni Drive,
Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South, specifically in the Deep South, and in the Piney Woods. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Ancient Paths (here, next to this marker); Old Stone Fort (here, next to this marker); Dr. Joseph William Kennedy, Jr (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College During World War II (about 600 feet away); Thomas Jefferson Rusk (about 700 feet away); Rusk Building (about 700 feet away); The University Tradition in Nacogdoches (about 800 feet away); Pioneering Higher Education in East Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2026. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 25, 2023, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 28, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 5. submitted on April 25, 2023, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. 6. submitted on September 28, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.





