Mount Jackson in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Confederate Hospital
Dr. Meem, on a visit to Harrisonburg February 26, 1865, became ill with an unknown ailment and died at the age of 41.
The hospital consisted of three two-story buildings, 150 feet long, accommodating up to 500 patients. A cemetery was established across the Valley Pike on the west side of land belonging to Colonel Levi Rinker.
In the Summer of 1865, the 192nd Ohio Volunteer militia tore down the hospital and built a large village, including a courthouse, guardhouse, ballroom and gallows, at Rude's hill, three miles south of Mount Jackson. Federal occupation forces used these buildings throughout the Reconstruction period. When Reconstruction ended in 1875, the structures were removed.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is February 26, 1860.
Location. 38° 45.302′ N, 78° 38.069′ W. Marker is in Mount Jackson, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 11) south of Nelson Street (Local Route 1314). It is in the Our Soldiers Cemetery, behind the UDC statue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Jackson VA 22842, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To All Confederates (a few steps from this marker); Our Soldiers’ Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Confederate Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Mt. Jackson General Hospital, CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Moore House 1872 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Jackson (approx. 0.6 miles away); 5855 Gospel Street (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mayor Joseph A. "Joe" Williams (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Jackson.
Also see . . . A Listing Of Confederate Soldiers Buried In Our Soldiers Cemetery. Neale and Kathy Clifton, Clifton's Collectables Genealogy, June 20, 2010. (Submitted on May 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2006. This page has been viewed 1,852 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on September 28, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8. submitted on December 22, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 9, 10, 11. submitted on June 25, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.