Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
History of Fort Magruder
When the Confederate Army Commander General Joseph E. Johnston became aware of the engagement, he sent Colonel John B. Magruder’s command to occupy and defend a line of earthen fortifications which had been built during the spring of 1861. Fort Magruder, as it became known, dominated the center of a line of 14 smaller earthworks, known as redoubts, which stretched from Queens Creek to the north, to Tutters Neck Pond to the south. This fort was the focus of a concerted battle that raged for two days before Johnston disengaged his defenders. McClellan had been delayed long enough for Lee to assemble his defensive forces around Richmond. The hotel is located on the site of the remains of reboubt number three. Artifacts from the Battle of Williamsburg are displayed in the lobby along with additional information.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is May 4, 1862.
Location. 37° 15.794′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Williamsburg (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Peninsula Campaign (about 500 feet away); Quarterpath Road (about 600 feet away); Magruder’s Defenses (approx. 0.4 miles away); Redoubt 2 (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Williamsburg (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Williamsburg (approx. 0.4 miles away); Williamsburg in the Civil War (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
More about this marker. The left of the marker contains a map of the Williamsburg line of fortifications. The location Fort Magruder is indicated.
Also see . . . The Peninsula Campaign of 1862. (Submitted on January 29, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,887 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on January 29, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.