Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Houston Heights Woman's Club

 
 
Houston Heights Woman's Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 13, 2020
1. Houston Heights Woman's Club Marker
Inscription.  

The Houston Heights Woman's Club has remained a pillar in the community since its founding in 1900 and even constructed its own club building in 1912, still in use. The Club gave women the opportunity to make an impact in their community and move away from traditional women's roles. Members were active with such issues as the lack of Women's property rights, and opposition to their voting, holding office or serving on juries. They also focused on education by establishing a library at Houston Heights High School in 1905, and being valued volunteers at the Heights Public Library.

During World War I, the Club volunteered to make surgical bandages for the Red Cross. When World War II erupted, the ladies again volunteered their time and clubhouse to the Red Cross, earning a special citation from the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury for their service.

The Houston Heights Woman's Club has also been dedicated to helping those less fortunate within the community. Members donated time and money to various organizations such as the United Fund, Care International, and the Veterans Hospital. They also brought toys to sick children
Houston Heights Woman's Club and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 13, 2020
2. Houston Heights Woman's Club and Marker
at Ben Taub and Jeff Davis Hospitals.

Today the Club continues to volunteer in an effort to improve the Heights neighborhood. Members spend many hours mentoring students, assisting the elderly and providing quilts to children in protective custody. The Houston Heights Woman's Club has grown to be an invaluable force in stimulating the intellectual pursuits of women and always striving to place the needs of others as their foremost concern.
175 Years of Texas Independence - 1836 - 2011
Marker is Property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16745.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkCivil RightsEducationWomen.
 
Location. 29° 48.22′ N, 95° 23.794′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Harvard Street just south of East 20th Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1846 Harvard Street, Houston TX 77008, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Daniel Denton Cooley (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); David Barker House (approx. ¼ mile away); Reagan Masonic Lodge No. 1037 A.F. & A.M. (approx. ¼
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
mile away); Heights Church of Christ (approx. ¼ mile away); Grace United Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Houston Heights City Hall and Fire Station (approx. 0.8 miles away); Houston Heights (approx. 1.8 miles away); Olivewood Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
 
Also see . . .  Texas MPS Houston Heights Woman's Club NRHP Nomination Form (National Archives). (Submitted on October 13, 2020.)
 
Additional keywords. women's suffrage
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 28, 2021