Louisville in Jefferson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
This Market House was built between 1795-1798 as a publicly owned multi-purpose trading house. Louisville newspapers record sales of large tracts, household goods, town lots and slaves by sheriffs, tax collectors, marshals and people of the community at the market House.
This square became the hub of the transportation routes that centered on Louisville when the State Capital was located here (1794-1807). Although portions of the structure have been replaced, the Market House has never lost its distinctive style.
Inside the Market House hangs a bell that was cast in France for a New Orleans Convent in 1772. The ship carrying the bell was sacked by pirates and the bell was sold in Savannah. It was given to the State Capitol but was used in the market House as a community warning signal.
Erected 1979 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources and the City of Louisville. (Marker Number 081-1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Communications Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1772.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 33° 0.003′ N, 82° 24.566′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Georgia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Business U.S. 1) and Mulberry Street, in the median on North Main Street. The marker stood in the median at the Market House; both the marker and post have been removed. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville GA 30434, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Abbot & Stone Building 1890 (a few steps from this marker); The Sacking of Louisville (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisville, Georgia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old State Capitol (about 700 feet away); "Yazoo Fraud" (about 700 feet away); Site of Capitol Building (about 800 feet away); To Commemorate the Site of the First Permanent Capitol of GeorgiaRocky Comfort Creek (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Regarding Market House. This marker replaced an earlier Georgia Historical Commission marker titled "Slave Market" which carried the same number.
1. City votes to remove former “slave market”.
Louisville’s city council voted on August 11th, 2020, to remove the more than 200-year-old market house, where slaves were once sold, from its current downtown location subject to “all legal issues being satisfactorily resolved” and the presentation of a plan for its new location. Legal issues include state laws and that the building is on Georgia Department of Transportation right-of-way.
— Submitted August 14, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,329 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on April 30, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 3. submitted on February 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on April 30, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.