Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Museum District in Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Confederate Memorial Chapel

 
 
Confederate Memorial Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
February 7, 2009
1. Confederate Memorial Chapel Marker
Inscription.  The chapel was erected in 1887 in memory of the more than 260,000 Confederate war dead and as a place of worship for the veterans who resided here in the Robert E. Lee Camp Confederate Soldiers' Home. The veterans themselves, many of them disabled and impoverished, funded the construction. Marion J. Dimmock, Sr., designed the Gothic Revival structure and Joseph F. Wingfield built it. The chapel was used regularly until the last resident veteran died in 1941. The home was then closed and the buildings were demolished, except for the chapel and the Robinson House, the superintendent's dwelling. The chapel was restored in 1960-1961.
 
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SA-52.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
 
Location. 37° 33.343′ N, 77° 28.569′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. It is in the Museum District. Marker is on Grove Avenue
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, 0.1 miles west of North Arthur Ashe Boulevard, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2900 Grove Avenue, Richmond VA 23221, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Confederate Memorial Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Residential Life at R. E. Lee Camp, No.1 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Soldiers' Home (about 300 feet away); The Home For Needy Confederate Women (about 400 feet away); Robinson House (about 700 feet away); Park Lane (about 700 feet away); Rumors of War (about 700 feet away); 101 North Arthur Ashe Boulevard (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  Confederate Memorial Chapel. National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on June 26, 2010.) 
 
Confederate Memorial Chapel image. Click for full size.
February 7, 2009
2. Confederate Memorial Chapel
Robert E. Lee Camp Marker. image. Click for full size.
July 3, 2009
3. Robert E. Lee Camp Marker.
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts occupies the site of the Robert E. Lee Camp Confederate Soldier's Home.
Surviving building of the Confederate Soldier's Home. image. Click for full size.
July 3, 2009
4. Surviving building of the Confederate Soldier's Home.
Headquarters, The Soldier's Home, Richmond, Va. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Hugh C. Leighton Co., circa 1908
5. Headquarters, The Soldier's Home, Richmond, Va.
VCU Libraries Digital Collections - Rarely Seen Richmond
R.E. Lee Camp, Confederate Home, Richmond, Va. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Detroit Publishing Co.
6. R.E. Lee Camp, Confederate Home, Richmond, Va.
VCU Libraries Digital Collections - Rarely Seen Richmond
Confederate Memorial Chapel - Inside Gothic Door image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bobby J. Edwards, March 20, 2010
7. Confederate Memorial Chapel - Inside Gothic Door
Right exit Gothic designed Door of the Confederate War Memorial Chapel. Much of the Chapel Wood cut from the Grove of Oak Trees on the Soldiers Home Campus.
Memorial Chapel Mason and Hamlin Organ image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bobby J. Edwards, March 20, 2010
8. Memorial Chapel Mason and Hamlin Organ
The Mason and Hamlin Organ still works, and for special events such as Confederate Memorial Day Services, the Organ is played.
Chapel Pews and Gothic Stained Glass Windows image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bobby J. Edwards, March 20, 2010
9. Chapel Pews and Gothic Stained Glass Windows
Chapel Pews are dark brown Oak benches, and wrap in a curved pattern to the center. The stained glass windows are remarkable works of art and are true memorials to different Confederate Officers, with one Californian and other Virginians.
Confederate Memorial Chapel Arches, Dedication to 260,000 Confederate Dead image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bobby J. Edwards, March 20, 2010
10. Confederate Memorial Chapel Arches, Dedication to 260,000 Confederate Dead
The Confederate War Memorial Chapel, built from the efforts of war veterans was dedicated to the 260,000 Confederate Dead. The 3 Church Arches Speak to that dedication. The Veterans inscribed in gold gilt lettering on the Chapel Chancel Arch,
“In memory of the Confederate dead
In this place I will give thee peace
Saith the Lord of Host”
Confederate Memorial Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bobby J. Edwards, April 15, 2010
11. Confederate Memorial Chapel Marker
To The Glory of God And in Memory of Members of R. E. LEE CAMP No. 1 United Confederate Veterans Who Owned The Soil Here Had Their Abode in This Area Worshipped and Were Buried From This Chapel With Affectionate Dedication By United Daughters of The Confederacy - 1960
42-pdr Seacoast Gun - Rifled and Banded image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 27, 2011
12. 42-pdr Seacoast Gun - Rifled and Banded
Displayed in front of the chapel is this seacoast gun, used by the Confederates during the Civil War. Originally cast by West Point Foundry, New York in 1856. During the war, Confederates had the gun rifled with a wrought iron reinforcing band added for strength. The muzzle was also trimmed down (possibly for use in ironclad ships). The gun saw service at Fort Sumter, South Carolina, and was recovered there in the 20th century.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,975 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 6, 2009.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 4, 2009.   7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on April 1, 2010, by Bobby J. Edwards of Yorktown, Virginia.   11. submitted on April 28, 2010, by Bobby J. Edwards of Yorktown, Virginia.   12. submitted on February 28, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=15908

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024