Hay Springs in Sheridan County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Camp Sheridan and Spotted Tail Agency
Spotted Tail Agency was generally quiet and peaceful throughout the Indian War of 1876-77. Crazy Horse surrendered there on September 4, 1877, after fleeing Red Cloud Agency. He was stabbed to death the next evening while being imprisoned at Camp Robinson, but his parents returned his body to Camp Sheridan for burial.
On October 29, 1877, Spotted Tail's Brules were moved to present South Dakota. In 1878 they occupied the Rosebud Agency, where they live today. Camp Sheridan, with a peak garrison of seven companies of soldiers, was abandoned on May 1, 1881.
Erected by Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 354.)
Topics and series. Native Americans • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 42° 40.905′ N, 102° 41.577′ W. Marker is in Hay Springs, Nebraska, in Sheridan County. Marker is on South Post Street just south of Bridges to Buttes Byway (U.S. 20), on the right when traveling south. Marker is located near then Sunset RV Park entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 S Post St, Hay Springs NE 69347, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Also see . . .
1. Spotted Tail (Wikipedia). Spotted Tail was born about 1823 in the White River country west of the Missouri River in present-day South Dakota. The young man took his warrior name, Spotted Tail, after receiving a gift of a raccoon tail from a white trapper. Spotted Tail agreed to the treaty, which in 1868 established the Great Sioux Reservation in West River, west of the Missouri River. (Submitted on November 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Spotted Tail Agency / Rosebud Agency. The first agency to be constructed within the Great Sioux Reservation established by the treaty of 1868 was named the Whetstone Agency after its initial location on Whetstone Creek north of Fort Randall (Submitted on November 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Camp Sheridan, Nebraska. The Spotted Tail Agency was composed of storehouses, an issue building, a carpentry shop, a sawmill, stables, and other structures. To guard the agency, Camp Sheridan was established as a tent camp in the fall of 1874 about one mile from the Spotted Tail Agency. Permanent facilities were constructed in the spring of 1875 consisting of over 30 frame and brick structures. (Submitted on November 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.