Elizabeth in Union County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This stone marks the intersection of the Carteret land owned by Col. Richard Townley, the land of Benjamin Price and the King's Highway, now Elizabeth Avenue, formerly Water Street, probably the oldest road in New Jersey, opened by the Dutch before the settlement of Elizabeth Town, the post and stage route to Philadelphia.
Erected 1908 by Elizabethtown Chapter No. 1 S.A.R.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 40° 38.975′ N, 74° 11.645′ W. Marker is in Elizabeth, New Jersey, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Elizabeth Avenue and 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Elizabeth Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 240 Elizabeth Avenue, Elizabethport NJ 07206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elizabethtown (approx. ¾ mile away); The Belcher-Ogden Mansion (approx. 1.2 miles away); Property of John Ogden 1680 (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Nathaniel Bonnell House 1682Boxwood Hall (approx. 1.3 miles away); Washington’s Inaugural Bicentennial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Seven Astronauts (approx. 1.3 miles away); General Winfield Scott (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elizabeth.
More about this marker. The Boundary Stone is enclosed within a fence in front of the Liberty Square Senior Center, formerly the Liberty Square branch of the Elizabeth Public Library.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2020, by Gregory Guderian of Belleville, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 3, 2020, by Gregory Guderian of Belleville, New Jersey. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.