Beaver Dam in Ohio County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Named for an unusually large dam made by beavers across a nearby stream. First settlers came in 1798 and founded the first Baptist Church here, in year Ohio County formed. Town incorporated, 1873.
In early times, area covered by canebrakes and inhabited by bear, deer and buffalo. Pioneers enroute to Ohio River followed buffalo trace from area as early as 1797.
Erected 1970 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1330.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
Location. 37° 23.881′ N, 86° 52.574′ W. Marker is in Beaver Dam, Kentucky, in Ohio County. Marker is on South Main Street (U.S. 231), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 343 South Main Street, Beaver Dam KY 42320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McHenry (approx. 2.7 miles John C. Thomas House (approx. 4 miles away); Early Surgery (approx. 4 miles away); Man of Courage (approx. 4 miles away); Rev. William Downs (approx. 4 miles away); Richard Parks Bland (approx. 4 miles away); Famous Kentucky Artist (approx. 4 miles away); Barnett's Station (approx. 4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.