Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James Martin Patterson
(1812 - 1906)
Kentucky native James Martin Patterson arrived in Dallas in 1846. Patterson and John W. Smith opened one of the first stores in Dallas using their pooled resources of $700. They built a flatboat and attempted to ship cotton down the Trinity River to the Gulf Coast in 1851. Patterson served as chief justice (county judge) from 1854-66. He retired in 1875 and managed his extensive property holdings until his death.
Recorded - 1996
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11834.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 32° 46.564′ N, 96° 48.037′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from Young Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 Marilla Street, Dallas TX 75201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John W. Lane (a few steps from this marker); Barton Warren Stone (a few steps from this marker); James W. (Weck) Latimer (within shouting distance of this marker); John McClannahan Crockett (within shouting distance of this marker); Juliette Abbey Peak Fowler (within shouting distance of this marker); Trezevant Calhoun Hawpe (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexander Harwood (within shouting distance of this marker); John Jay Good (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 10, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.