Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Swoope in Augusta County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Glebe Burying Ground

 
 
Glebe Burying Ground Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, December 21, 2019
1. Glebe Burying Ground Marker
Inscription.  The vestry of Augusta Parish purchased 200 acres here in 1749 to serve as a glebe, farmland set aside to support the minister. Just to the southwest, on a portion of this property, the parish established the first public cemetery in the vicinity. Grave markers reflect English, German, and Scots-Irish funerary art traditions of the 18th and 19th centuries. Buried here are several Revolutionary War soldiers and Col. John Wilson, member of the Virginia House of Burgesses from 1748 to 1773. Also interred here are at least three settlers killed by Shawnee Indians in attacks during Pontiac's War (1763-1766). The cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
 
Erected 2017 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number AL 5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1749.
 
Location. 38° 6.532′ N, 79° 
Glebe Burying Ground Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 14, 2021
2. Glebe Burying Ground Marker
This view is south-southwest.
Click or scan to see
this page online
13.046′ W. Marker is near Swoope, Virginia, in Augusta County. Marker is on Glebe School Road (Virginia Route 876) south of Baylor Mill Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Swoope VA 24479, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Tabor Lutheran Church (approx. 2½ miles away); Virginia Institute (approx. 2½ miles away); Middlebrook Historic District (approx. 4 miles away); West View (approx. 4.8 miles away); Augusta County Training School (approx. 5.4 miles away); Avenue of Trees (approx. 6.7 miles away); Bethel Church (approx. 6.8 miles away); Roanoke College (approx. 6.8 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2020, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 11, 2020, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio.   2. submitted on May 15, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=159738

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 25, 2022