Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Kalispell in Flathead County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

East Side Historic District

 
 
East Side Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 19, 2020
1. East Side Historic District Marker
Inscription.  As the town of Kalispell ended its first decade in 1901, the Kalispell Bee reported that the “artistic and modern” residences would well ornament a much larger city. Dozens of spacious Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, and vernacular style East Side homes had by now erased the hay meadows that once covered the townsite. Central School, designed by Great Falls architect William White and built in 1894, anchored the district’s northwest corner; Charles E. Conrad’s seventy-two-acre estate and mansion, designed and built in 1895 by Spokane architect Kirkland Cutter, sprawled along the northeastern edge. Soon the splendid Carnegie Library (1903), the Kalispell Hospital (1904), Woodland Park (created in 1910 on land donated by Conrad), and Kalispell General Hospital (1912) added diversity. During the 1920s Prairie School-inspired residences, the Foursquare form, and Craftsman style homes began to grace East Side streets, reflecting the very latest architectural trends. A 1913 history of Montana pronounced Kalispell “one of the most beautiful cities in the state,” but the district still had room for growth and refinement. In the
East Side Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 19, 2020
2. East Side Historic District Marker
The marker is to the far left of the gate.
1920s, the Conrad carriage house and stables were moved and redesigned into five homes by architect Fred Brinkman. A 1930s Works Progress Administration project transformed Woodland Park from a “mosquito bog” into a “beauty center.” Architects of different periods such as Brinkman, Arthur Pearmain, Marion Riffo, and Joseph Gibson contributed to an eclectic combination of styles. This distinctive “layering” of ages and styles highlights the pleasant East Side streetscapes that today chronicle the town’s evolution.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureParks & Recreational AreasScience & MedicineSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
 
Location. 48° 11.836′ N, 114° 18.179′ W. Marker is in Kalispell, Montana, in Flathead County. Marker can be reached from Woodland Avenue near 3rd Street East, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Woodland Avenue, Kalispell MT 59901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Conrad Mansion (here, next to this marker); Morgan House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Driscoll House (about 400 feet away); Griffith/Conrad House (about 400 feet away); Conrad/Tobie House (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Conrad/Tobie House (about 500 feet away); Weberg House (about 600 feet away); Brintnall House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kalispell.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021