Napoleon in Henry County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Miami & Erie Canal And Napoleon's First Cemetery
The Miami & Erie Canal stretched approximately 250 miles from Cincinnati to Toledo. Napoleon and other towns on the Maumee River's banks were on a slackwater section of the canal. Between 1825 and 1845, laborers constructed the canal using shovels, picks, wheelbarrows, and horse and mule-drawn carts. In Henry County, Napoleon, and elsewhere, German and Irish immigrants and area farmers did the work and were paid around 30 cents a day. As the canal brought more people and business to the area. Villages such as Florida, and Texas flourished and the county seat of Napoleon boomed. The canal and consequent growth took their tolls, however. Sickness and disease such as "ague” (malaria) and cholera spread and carried off many. Napoleon's first cemetery was located in the vicinity of 500 East Clinton Street, near the route of the canal.
A sawmill in Napoleon along the Miami-Erie Canal. c. 1880. The sawmill was approximately one-half mile west of this marker and is an example of the commerce that the canal helped to sustain. In the background is the Henry County Courthouse and St. Augustine Catholic Church, both on the National
Erected 2018 by The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 5-35.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the The Miami & Erie Canal series lists.
Location. 41° 23.683′ N, 84° 7.15′ W. Marker is in Napoleon, Ohio, in Henry County. Marker is on East Riverview Avenue (Route 424) just north of East Clinton Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 344 E Riverview Ave, Napoleon OH 43545, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 221 East Washington (approx. ¼ mile away); 127 E. Clinton (approx. 0.3 miles away); 828 Oakwood (approx. 0.3 miles away); 116 E. Clinton (approx. 0.3 miles away); 814 North Perry (approx. 0.4 miles away); 722 & 724 North Perry (approx. 0.4 miles away); 720 North Perry (approx. 0.4 miles away); 102 East Washington (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Napoleon.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 17, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on January 29, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.