Near Richmond in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
beginning of the Three-Chopt Road
The British Legion under Command of Lieutenant Colonel Tarleton, passed over this road in June, 1781, when returning from the raid upon Charlottesville. Along the intersecting River Road, Earl Cornwallis led his force from the Point of Fork. The two forces united in the vicinity of this site, and entered Richmond. On June 20, 1781, Cornwallis evacuated Richmond, and marched toward Williamsburg.
An old road is the soul of the past
Erected by the County supervisors
at the request of Commonwealth Chapter, D.A.R.
Erected 1916 by Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 37° 34.167′ N, 77° 31.373′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richmond Defences (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilton (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Wilton (approx. half a mile away); Ampthill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Windsor (approx. 1.2 miles away); Granite and History (approx. 1.2 miles away); Pony Pasture Rapids (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mary-Cooke Branch Munford (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Virginia Highway & Transportation Research Council. The Route of the Three Notch’d Road: A Preliminary Report (pdf file)
"Known first as the Mountain Road, or Mountain Ridge Road, it derived its name Three Notch'd Road from a system of marks it had received by 1742 or 1743." (Submitted on February 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 981 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.