Defiance in Defiance County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Civil War Cannons
These cannons, used for coastal defense, were located in North Carolina's Confederate Fort Fisher. They were captured by Union forces during the Civil War. They were given to the community of Defiance in 1896 by the U.S. Government. Originally they were placed next to a Grand Army of the Republic statue located in Monumental Park, presently known as Triangle Park. The statue is currently located in Riverside Cemetery. The cannons were moved to this location in 1936.
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 41° 17.259′ N, 84° 21.41′ W. Marker is in Defiance, Ohio, in Defiance County. Memorial is on Fort Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Defiance OH 43512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Buffalo Were Recorded Here In 1718 (a few steps from this marker); Spemica Lawba–Johnny Logan (a few steps from this marker); Fort Defiance, 1794 (a few steps from this marker); Cross Section of the Trench North Blockhouse (a few steps from this marker); West Blockhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Construction Of Fort Defiance (within shouting distance of this marker); Legion of Anthony Wayne (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Defiance.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 21, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.