Jefferson in Marion County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founded 1843. Named for President Thomas Jefferson. Chief river Port of Texas, 1846-1870. This prosperous Ante-bellum city became a Confederate Quartermaster Depot; Produced boots, shoes, iron goods, preserved meats for Army. Nearby oil field discovered in 1939. Many fine old homes and other landmarks.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8054.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 46.569′ N, 94° 20.232′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Texas, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 49 and County Highway 3200, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 49. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jefferson TX 75657, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John M. Vines (approx. 0.9 miles away); Richard Waterhouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Civil War Meat Packing Plant (approx. 1.2 miles away); Torrans-Clopton-Spellings House (approx. Site of Home of Captain George T. Todd (approx. 1.3 miles away); The George T. Todd House (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Brooks House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Jefferson Turn Basin (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
Also see . . . Jefferson, Texas. Wikipedia (Submitted on November 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.