Fort St. Peter
The first white men to visit the Yazoo River were four missionary priests from the Seminary of Quebec. Rev. Francis De Montigny, a native of Paris, was the leader of the party and bore the appointment of Vicar General of the Bishop of Quebec. The other priests were: Rev. Anthony Davion, Rev. Thaumer De La Source and Rev. John Francis Buisson De St. Cosme. Their purposes were to civilize and make known to the Indians that there was an Almighty God who loved all mankind and would reward with everlasting happiness all who would learn to love and serve Him and keep His commandments.
The arrived at this site January 11, 1698 and were conducted inland from the Mississippi River by Indians of the Tunica tribe to the village of the chief. They estimated the population at 2000, which included the Yazoo and Ofo tribes. The visit lasted eight days and sickness being among them they baptized several dying children and a distinguished chief. They visited other tribes and returned to Canada for necessaries to make permanent the places selected for missions. The Missionaries were back in Jan. 1699. Their study of the Indian languages was so extensive
In 1719 Fort St. Peter was constructed and "Additions were made annually to all the settlements until there were two farms on Walnut Hills, and fourteen on the Yazoo around Fort St. Peter that became the envy of the British and pride of the French in 1721."
December 31, 1729, the Yazoo Indians massacred Rev. John Souel S.J. Chevalier Des Roches, commandant, and all the population except 4 women and 5 children.
is in Redwood, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is on State Highway 3, half a mile north of Old Highway 3, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Redwood MS 39156, United States of America. Touch for directions.
M.J. Mulvihill, Sr. Historian.
Erected 1929 by Board of Supervisors of Warren County, Mississippi.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • Native Americans. A significant historical date for this entry is January 11, 1698.
Location. 32° 29.697′ N, 90° 47.932′ W. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Snyder (here, next to this marker); French Fort St. Pierre (a few steps from this marker); Snyder's Bluff (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Haynes Bluff Mound (approx. 2.3 miles away); Steele's Bayou Expedition (approx. 6 miles away); Chickasaw Bayou Battle (approx. 6.8 miles away); Kings School (approx. 7.9 miles away); Stephen G· Hicks (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Redwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.