Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Livingston

 
 
Livingston Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 15, 2020
1. Livingston Marker
Inscription.  

Seat of Polk County, founded in 1846, incorporated 1902. Named by Moses L. Choate, donor of its 100 acre townsite, it became vital trade, educational and social center for people of sawmills and boat landings on the Trinity River. General Sam Houston was among guests dancing at Old Andress Inn in the early 1850's.

The only Indian Reservation in Texas, for the Alabama-Coushatta tribe, is located near here.

The economy is agricultural based chiefly on ranching and timber. Since 1930 there has been major oil and gas development.

Pine forest capital of Texas.
 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10404.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
 
Location. 30° 42.665′ N, 94° 56.061′ W. Marker is in Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street (U.S. 190) and North Jackson Avenue, on
The Livingston Marker in front of City Hall. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 15, 2020
2. The Livingston Marker in front of City Hall.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the right when traveling west on Church Street. The marker is located on a small wall in front of the Livingston City Hall by the sidewalk. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livingston TX 77351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First National Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1905 Courthouse Annex (about 300 feet away); First State Bank of Livingston (about 400 feet away); Polk County, C.S.A. (about 400 feet away); Polk County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Polk County (about 500 feet away); "Polk County Enterprise" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Indian Trails (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
 
Also see . . .
1. Livingston Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

2. Alabama-Coushatta Indians. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

3. Polk County. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Livingston Marker by the road. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 15, 2020
3. The view of the Livingston Marker by the road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=161472

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 8, 2022