Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Mexia in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Joseph E. Johnston Reunion Grounds

(4 mi. West)

 

— (Camp No. 94, United Confederate Veterans) —

 
Joseph E. Johnston Reunion Grounds Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
1. Joseph E. Johnston Reunion Grounds Marker
Inscription.  

Established 1889, in era when Texas looked to Civil War Veterans for State Leadership. One of numerous parks on river banks or other favored sites that drew large, popular annual encampments. Statesmen came to make speeches. There were orations by old soldiers; memorial programs, reviews, concerts.

In 1892 the camp purchased this 70-acre tract; sold lots to shareholders; named streets for Lee, Jackson, other heroes. During week of full moon each August, members came to encampments; set up housekeeping in tents, shacks or brush arbors; entertained, feasting on fried chicken, barbecue, brunswick stew, sweet potato pie, watermelons. Special trains were run for years from Fort Worth, Dallas, Houston. In peak years 5,000 people assembled here. Until 1940, the dawn and dusk salutes shot by Old Val Verde, Civil War cannon, were heard far into neighboring counties.

Besides giving honors to Confederate Veterans, the encampments were occasions for family reunions.

After the Mexia oil boom began in 1920, Col, A.E. Humphreys, a leader in petroleum development, built club facilities and promoted use of the park.

The
The entrance to the Joseph E. Johnston Reunion Grounds and the marker. image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
2. The entrance to the Joseph E. Johnston Reunion Grounds and the marker.
reunion grounds still are dedicated to the memory of the late Confederate Veterans.

This marker was relocated here to the actual site of the Confederate Reunion Grounds by the Limestone County Historical Commission. 2003
 
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2858.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EntertainmentParks & Recreational AreasWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 31° 38.001′ N, 96° 33.452′ W. Marker is near Mexia, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 2705 and County Highway 477, on the left when traveling north on Highway 2705. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mexia TX 76667, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Booker T. Washington Park (approx. 3 miles away); Old Springfield Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Sanders Walker (approx. 3.2 miles away); Joseph Penn Lynch (approx. 3.2 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps at Fort Parker State Park (approx. 3.4 miles away); Old Springfield (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mexia Oil Boom (approx. 3.9 miles away); Fort Parker (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mexia.
 
Also see . . .
1. Confederate Reunion Grounds State Historic Site
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

2. Val Verde Battery - Cannon Story. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021