Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Grant House / Sheltering Arms Hospital
Erected 1993 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SA-40.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 37° 32.505′ N, 77° 25.847′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is on East Clay Street 0.1 miles west of North 11th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23298, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At Valentine Museum (a few steps from this marker); Maupin - Maury House (within shouting distance of this marker); Matthew Fontaine Maury (within shouting distance of this marker); Wickham-Valentine House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Edward V. Valentine Sculpture Studio (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexander H. Stephens House Site (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); White House of the Confederacy (about 400 feet away); President’s Mansion (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Sheltering Arms History. (Submitted on February 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,014 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.