Near Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The town of Godfrey was incorporated by the Georgia Legislature on July 25, 1906. However, this community has much older roots. Local lore places the earliest geographic reference to a community in this area called Hamburg. By the early 1800s the community was known as Antioch, for the original Antioch church built there around 1809. By 1839 the area was known as Evansville, perhaps for a local academy that existed there.
One of the earliest industries in the area was a grist mill operated by the Walton Family known as Walton’s Mill. It was eventually destroyed by fire around 1950. Mary Perkins Walton, a descendent of the Walton Family, married Dr. James Ervine Godfrey, a former Confederate surgeon. Dr. and Mrs. Godfrey acquired land in this area through her family and owned a plantation called Egypt. For a time, this community was identified with that plantation and called Egypt. The community was later named after Dr. Godfrey around the time the post office was opened in the late 19th
By 1867 two Baptist churches and one Methodist church had been established. The first school within the community was established in the early 1900s. At its economic peak the town included eight stores, bank, barber shop, livery stable, icehouse, cotton gin, warehouse, peach shed, railroad depot, post office, and Walton’s Mill. Godfrey depended on the Central of Georgia Railroad for passenger service, mail service and transportation of commodities.
Though no longer incorporated, because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Godfrey is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
Erected 2007 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Communications • Education • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 33° 27.633′ N, 83° 30.333′ W. Marker is near Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Godfrey Road and Antioch Church Road, on the left when traveling north on Godfrey Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. WWII B-25C Airplane Crash (approx. 1.2 miles away); Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Pennington (approx. 3.8 miles away); Seven Islands Road (approx. 4.4 miles away); Fairview (approx. 4.6 miles away); Springfield (approx. 5˝ miles away); Union Chapel United Methodist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Shady Dale (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,060 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on June 8, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.