Near Sidney in Comanche County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
William Driscol Cox (1839-97) and his wife Amanda (Shugart) moved with their family from Tennessee to Texas in 1872. Cox taught in Robertson County then (1876) bought and moved to a 300-acre ranch at this site. He taught the first school in Sidney and served 1882-84 as Sheriff of Comanche County.
This cemetery was opened at the death of infant Mary Jane Cox (1875-76), sixth child of the family. Amanda (Mrs. W.D) Cox was buried here in 1882. In 1886, Cox donated the 1-acre family burial ground to the Methodist Mission in nearby Bibb, as a public cemetery. In 1895 he sold most of his land to a nephew, James Sampson Cox (1866-1941), who later was one of the area's largest landowners. Although Bibb Mission closed in 1908. This facility continued in public use. In 1934, J.S. Cox bought and added three-fourths of an acre to the original ground.
Under leadership of O.S. Cox (1895-1966), a grand nephew of W.D. Cox, the fence and arched gate were installed in 1959. Reunion associations of the Hurt and Steele families, connected by marriages to the Coxes, have helped maintain the cemetery. The Cox cemetery association was organized
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1100.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Education • Law Enforcement.
Location. 31° 57.234′ N, 98° 43.257′ W. Marker is near Sidney, Texas, in Comanche County. Marker can be reached from Cox Cemetery Road ¼ mile south of Farm to Market Road 589. The marker is located at the front entrance to the Cemetery on the right side of the gate. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sidney TX 76474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pendergrass Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Community of Sidney (approx. one mile away); Comanche County (approx. 7.4 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 7.8 miles away); M.R. (Boss) Greene (approx. 7.8 miles away); The Comanche Chief (approx. 7.8 miles away); George Washington Gentry (approx. 7.8 miles away); Huett Building and Carrera Glass (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sidney.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.