Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Captain Joseph A. Tivy
In 1837 Joseph A. Tivy (1818-92) and his two sisters came to Texas from Canada. After serving as a Texas Ranger, Tivy joined his sisters in the California Gold Rush of 1849. There they operated a hotel and he later served in the State Legislature. After returning to Texas in the late 1850s, Tivy fought in the Civil War, attaining the rank of Captain. A surveyor, rancher, and Texas Legislator (1873), he served as the first Kerrville mayor in 1889. During his term of office he gave land for the city schools. He and his wife Ella (d. 1888) and his sister Susan (d. 1901) are buried on nearby Tivy Mountain.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 724.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian • Women.
Location. 30° 3.223′ N, 99° 7.145′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is on Tivy Street half a mile west of Veterans Highway (Loop State Highway 534). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Kennedy-Peterson House (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Original Building of Tivy School (approx. one mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. one mile away); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Kerrville (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church of Kerrville (approx. 1.2 miles away); Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); San Antonio & Aransas Pass Passenger Train Depot (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
Also see . . . Captain Joseph A. Tivy. Captain Tivy is well known for donating land for the creation of Kerrville schools and he has schools named after him in Kerrville. (Submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 20 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.