Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Petersburg in Grant County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Petersburg

 
 
Petersburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 15, 2008
1. Petersburg Marker
Inscription.  Settled about 1745. Near by was Fort George, Indian fort. Federal trenches overlooked the town in 1863 and 1864. Here is grave of Rev. W. N. Scott, pioneer preacher, who built churches at Old Fields, Moorefield, and Petersburg.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list.
 
Location. Marker has been reported damaged. 38° 59.567′ N, 79° 7.26′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, West Virginia, in Grant County. Marker is on Virginia Avenue (West Virginia Route 55) east of Main Street (U.S. 220), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 Virginia Ave, Petersburg WV 26847, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Fort Mulligan (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tannery in Petersburg, WV (within shouting distance of this marker); Maple Hill Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); War in Grant County (approx.
Petersburg Marker at the Old Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 15, 2008
2. Petersburg Marker at the Old Courthouse
0.6 miles away); Fairfax Line (approx. one mile away); A Strategic Location (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Mulligan (approx. 1.1 miles away); Civil War Cannons (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
 
Also see . . .  Old Courthouse. (PDF) National Register documentation for the old courthouse. (Submitted on October 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
World War Memorial In Front of Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, July 15, 2008
3. World War Memorial In Front of Courthouse
1927 limestone statue is approx. 5 foot 10 inches tall on a 5 foot base. Brass tablet reads, “Dedicated to the men of Grant County who gave their lives in the service of their country during the World War. — John Aronhalt, Clarence A. Blackburn, Rufus Blair, Carl B. Davis, Seaton S. Elliott, Alva Harris, Charles L. Harvey, Clyde O. Iman, Marvin G. Jones, William O. Kesner, John H. Kimble, Frank Kitzmiller, William H. Mason, Roy E. Michael, Elburn W. Mongold, William Neel, Harry G. Riggleman, John G. Roby, Otis F. Rohrbaugh, Olin L. Shillingburg, Tony W. Shillingburg, Lafayette C. Smith, Lee R. Strawderman, George H. Timmerman.”
Petersburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, August 1, 2020
4. Petersburg Marker
The marker has been broken off from its pole.
The Old Grant County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
5. The Old Grant County Courthouse
National Register Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
6. National Register Plaque
The old courthouse is on the National Register.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2008, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,687 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on December 17, 2020, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   4. submitted on December 17, 2020, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia.   5, 6. submitted on October 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021