Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
C. S. Vaiden (Mississippi) Battery;
River Batteries; Army of Vicksburg.
The company served its pieces on the city front from May 18 to May 23, when most of them were ordered to the rear line of defense. One section, under Capt. S. C. Bains, served two 6-pounder guns on the city front to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is May 18, 1863.
Location. 32° 21.002′ N, 90° 52.938′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Clay Street and Washington Street (Business U.S. 61), on the right when traveling east on Clay Street. Marker is mounted at eye-level near the northeast corner of the intersection, facing Clay Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 Washington Street, Vicksburg MS 39180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Banks and Bottles (within shouting distance of this marker); The Blue Room (within shouting distance of this marker); Mercantile Explosion 1953 Tornado Memorial (about 300 feet away); The Red Tops (about 300 feet away); Missing Angels (about 300 feet away); Sky Parlor Hill (about 300 feet away); The Vicksburg & Queen of the West (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vicksburg.
Additional keywords. C. S. Vaiden (Mississippi) Battery;
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.