Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Carson City, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

History of the Borda Ranch

 
 
History of the Borda Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Phelps, December 15, 2020
1. History of the Borda Ranch Marker
Inscription.  

Originally a Washoe Indian trail, Kings Canyon served as a gateway to Lake Tahoe following the gold rush to California. Eagle Station was established in 1851 near the mouth of the canyon, Dr. Benjamin King built his ranch the next year, and others followed founding Carson City in 1858.

Lumber was transported down Kings Canyon and timbered the Comstock mines. The immigrant road later served as part of the famous Lincoln Highway, the nation's first transcontinental route.

Beginning in 1947, Basque ranchers, Pete and Raymond "Dutch" Borda, pastured sheep in the upper canyon. Carson's City growth posed a barrier to the sheep drives to and from Dayton by the 1970s. The environmentally-conscious Borda family conveyed the scenic, ranch property into public ownership in 1997.
December, 1997
 
Erected 1997.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureParks & Recreational AreasRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 39° 9.219′ N, 119° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
48.907′ W. Marker is in Carson City, Nevada. Marker is on Kings Canyon Road 0.1 miles west of Cooper Springs Court, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carson City NV 89701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Governor's Mansion (approx. 2.4 miles away); Stewart-Nye Residence (approx. 2˝ miles away); Logging Wagon (approx. 2˝ miles away); Methodist Church of Carson City (approx. 2.6 miles away); St. Peter’s Episcopal Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Gardner’s Ranch (approx. 2.6 miles away); Historic Flume and Lumberyard (approx. 2.6 miles away); Olcovich-Meyers House (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carson City.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2020, by Brian Phelps of Carson City, Nevada. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on December 23, 2020, by Brian Phelps of Carson City, Nevada. Photo   1. submitted on December 15, 2020, by Brian Phelps of Carson City, Nevada. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 26, 2021