A Unique Configuration of 1850's Facades
— Wabash & Erie Canal Park Village —
The Wabash & Erie Canal conference and interpretive center before you combines historic facades from 1850s downtown Delphi.
J. H. Stewart Drugs, Callahan Boots and Lathrope Bakery fill the middle of the block in this 1850s photo.
Built in 1859 the second courthouse was replaced by the current courthouse in 1917.
Dan McCain, Paul Brandenburg, Charles Gerard and Tom Castaldi, successfully campaigned for the importance and practicality of using the historic business names and facades from Delphi's Canal Era. Charles Gerard shouldered the task of providing the architects enough authentic photos and descriptions to faithfully represent a section of an 1850s street front in Delphi.
Understandably, architectural license has been taken to accommodate the dimensions of the Canal Center and its surrounds, but this benchmark decision allows today's onlooker to step into early, virile Delphi, a bustling trade center, rather than a generic facsimile. With the completion of the Wabash & Erie Canal to Delphi in 1840 a steady stream of fashions and new products turned Delphi into a cultural outpost in the Indiana
The Buford House can be seen at the left followed by North Western Hall and the Bolles Building in this 1860s photo.
Although construction of the Interpretive Center was completed in 2003, this uniquely designed building has its beginnings anchored firmly in the past. The birds-eye illustration shows the original location of the historic canal era buildings that comprise the Interpretive Center.
Taken from the base of the courthouse in the
1860s the Pigman Building is on the far right.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Wabash & Erie Canal series list.
Location. 40° 35.467′ N, 86° 40.85′ W. Marker is in Delphi, Indiana, in Carroll County. Marker can be reached from West North Washington Street just east of Charles Street, on the right when traveling east. On the Grounds of the Wabash & Erie Canal Conference & Interpretive Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12252 West North Washington Street, Delphi IN 46923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Native Plants of the Canal (here, next to this marker); Lewis Thomas Jones (within shouting distance of this marker); River Travel
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 26 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 25, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.